Supporting Hong Kong Dockers’ Strike:
Global Conscience Pledge to Boycott all Li Ka Shing’s Products
1995至今，香港通帳累積高達28.5%，但香港國際碼頭（Hong Kong International Terminals, HIT）的工人月薪竟然低於18年前的水平。每當香港面臨經濟危機 HIT每每要求工人共渡時艱，單方面要求員工減薪，但經濟好轉時，HIT 卻拒絕與工人分享利潤。2013年3月28日，工人終於在忍無可忍的情況下發起罷工行動。罷工以來， HIT拒絕承認責任，直指工人乃外判公司之員工，HIT在追求利益最大化同時，也將責任轉嫁給外判商，懶理這些外判商侵害勞工權利的種種問題。作為李嘉誠全球王國下的消費者，我們強烈譴責HIT及其大老闆、亞洲首富李嘉誠罔顧企業社會責任，並願意以消費者力量，罷買李嘉誠商品，與香港HIT碼頭罷工工人並肩抗爭。
Since 1995, Hong Kong’s inflation has risen cumulatively to 28.5%, but the wages of the dockers at Hong Kong International Terminals (HIT) is surprisingly lower than the level 18 years ago. Every time Hong Kong faces an economic downturn, HIT asks for a pay cut to weather the difficult time through; whereas when there is a profit, HIT shamelessly refuses to share the profit with its dedicated employees. On 28th March 2013, the dockers no longer tolerate HIT’s greed and go on strike. During the strike, HIT shed its responsibility to its sub-contractors, claiming that those dockers were only the employees of the sub-contractors. Having only profits in mind, HIT also shifted its responsibilities to its workers, leaving them to merciless exploitation and inhumane working conditions. As the consumers of much of Li Ka-shing’s global enterprises, we strongly condemn HIT and its head, also the richest man in Asia, Li Ka-shing, ignoring corporate social responsibility. We pledge make use of the power of consumers, boycott Li Ka-shing’s products and stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the dockers at strike!
The Evilness of Sub-contracting – Exploitation under the name of Efficiency
In the past 20 years, both public and private organizations in Hong Kong have gone through the tide of sub-contracting its services, intending to exploit every drop of manpower from the workers for money. Powerless as they are, the grassroots workers have no choice but to shut up and work. All their effort, nonetheless, do not earn the respect from their employers – their salaries fell and the amount of work has yet been endlessly mounting still! Silence has only proved to make the contemptible deeds of exploitation unrestrained and therefore dockers are here to fight back. This campaign aims not only to target against HIT, but also to ignite the resistance to the system of sub-contracting. It is of great significance that our success in the strike adds fuel to the battle against the sub-contracting!
Strike! Boycott! – Say No to Hegemony!
This strike also reveals an inconvenient truth – the exploitation of the dockers lay roots also to the hegemony of Li’s enterprises. Li has unimaginable control over Hong Kong’s docks, in addition to his oligarchic ownership in many other aspects of daily consumption. It includes Cheung Kong Holdings, Hong Kong Electric, Harbour Plaza Hotel, Parknshop, Taste, Fortress, Watson, and Hutchison Telecommunications. Forced is every single one of us to be the consumers of his enterprises. Li, as the top of the four giant property developers, has devoted himself into the game of monopoly and speculation. His selfish act has pushed up Hong Kong’s property prices to the top of the world, that is why anti-hegemony has become the number-one agendum of Hong Kong’s social movements in recent years. The strike has clearly reminded us that we are all the victims of the hegemony. Together we must stand together to wrestle against these giants.
李氏王國已全球化了，香港的業務只佔王國的小部份。和黃公司董事總經理霍建寧甚至高調在北京回應，說和黃在全球有270個碼頭，HIT 的利潤只佔總利潤的 1%，暗指罷工根本對王國毫無威脅。今天香港和黃碼頭工人可以被高調打壓，和黃旗下的任何一國的碼頭工人罷工，都會遇到同樣待遇。因為李氏王國的資本已遍佈全球，無處不在。
Li’s enterprise kingdom has now been widespread around the globe, and Hong Kong is only a very small portion of it. Canning Fok Kin-ning, the Hutchison Whampoa Limited (HWL) Group Managing Director, has even arrogantly responded at Beijing. “HWL has 270 across the world, and HIT’s profit accounts for only 1 percent of the total profit,” he says, implying that the strike poses no threat to Li’s empire. Today’s strike in Hong Kong was that publicly denounced, tomorrow other countries’ ports may receive the same treatment. Nowhere can we escape the same fate of being exploited and humiliated by the proud and malevolent Li Ka-shing!
Besides uniting all dockers, we also plead for the unity of all consumers worldwide – let us vow to boycott all products and services under Li. We believe that our unity is the only way to end the hegemony of Li, and only in this way shall we pressurize Li into another round of negotiation, until the dispute is resolved!
As the signatory of this statement, I pledge myself to,
1) Boycott all products under Li Ka-shing with the power of consumer, until Li is willing to respond to the demands of the dockers at strike. Unless dispute is resolved, I shall not purchase under Parknshop, Watsons, Fortress and Hutchison Telecommunications; nor invest in the stocks and property under the Hutchison Whampoa Limited Group. If I am outside Hong Kong, I shall also boycott all products under Li Ka-shing ;
2) Invite at least 5 relatives or friends to join the boycott ;
3) Support the dockers at strike until victory comes!
Students and Scholars Against Corporate Misbehavior (SACOM)
The Supporting Group of Dockers at Strike
Please sign “Supporting Hong Kong Dockers’ Strike: Global Conscience Pledge to Boycott all Li Ka Shing’s Products”
Two ways of joining:
- 把表格郵寄至大學師生監察無良企業行動 （郵寄地址：九龍旺角郵政信箱79583號）。信封面請註明「簽署良心消費撐工友約章」。
Email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail the form to Students and Scholars Against Corporate Misbehavior (Address: no. 79583 Mongkok Post Office, Mongkok, Kowloon, HONG KONG). Please note down “Global Conscience Pledge to Boycott all Li Ka Shing’s Products” in the front of the envelope
“Supporting Hong Kong Dockers’ Strike:
Global Conscience Pledge to Boycott all Li Ka Shing’s Products”
I have read the “Supporting Hong Kong Dockers’ Strike: Global Conscience Pledge to Boycott all Li Ka Shing’s Products” and agreed to : (Put a tick P in the following actions)
- o 運用消費者力量罷買李嘉誠在本國的所有商品，直至李嘉誠願意正面回應罷工工人訴求。只要碼頭工人罷工未解決，本人身處香港，會拒絕光顧百佳，屈臣氏、豐澤及和記電訊，亦不會購買長和系的樓宅及股票。若本人身處香港以外，也會罷買李氏王國在本國的所有商品；
- o 向至少五名親友解釋碼頭工人罷工的事件及邀請他們參與罷買行動；並
- o 支持碼頭罷工工人的抗爭，直到勝利。
- o Boycott all products under Li Ka-shing with the power of consumer, until Li is willing to respond to the demands of the dockers at strike. Unless dispute is resolved, I shall not purchase under Parknshop, Watsons, Fortress and Hutchison Telecommunications; nor invest in the stocks and property under the Hutchison Whampoa Limited Group. If I am outside Hong Kong, I shall also boycott all products under Li Ka-shing ;
- o Invite at least 5 relatives or friends to join the boycott ;
- o Support the dockers at strike until victory comes!
- 一人一相撐工友，手持寫上支持工人的字句拍照並上載至SACOM Facebook專頁。
Besides signing the pledge, you may also support the dockers at strike through other ways below:
Account No.: Hang Seng Bank 295-8-067833
Account Name: Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions
Bank Code 024
Address of HKCTU: 19/F., Wing Wong Commercial Building, 557 Nathan Road, Yau Ma Tei, Kowloon, HK.Swift code : HASEHKHH
Bank Name: Hang Seng Bank – Hankow Road Branch
Bank Address: 4 Hankow Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong
- Take a photograph to support the dockers. Write a note of support on a piece of paper and hold it while taking a photograph. Upload it to SACOM Facebook page afterwards.
- Online Petition organized by the International Transport Workers’ Federation (ITF) in supporting the dockers, defending their dignity.